NY's Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service
NEW YORK (AP) — Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan reopened its nonemergency walk-in services Monday after suffering what officials called "devastating damage" from Superstorm Sandy.
But full services at the East Side facility won't resume until February, hospital officials announced at a news conference.
Starting Monday, Bellevue also will offer limited adult and pediatric outpatient primary care clinics and routine OB-GYN services.
Limited emergency care services are expected by mid-December.
City Health and Hospitals Corp. President Alan Aviles said it's the first time in 275 years the hospital was forced to stop operations.
"It was only a few weeks ago that this historic public hospital suffered devastating damage from a monster storm that required the evacuation of all patients," Aviles said. "Our doors are once again open 24/7 while we continue the slow but certain road toward recovery with a shared sense of purpose focused, as always, on our commitment to our patients and the community we serve."
About 700 patients had to be evacuated from Bellevue when all but one of the hospital's generators failed.
Bellevue is one of four New York hospitals closed to inpatients three weeks after the storm hit the city last month. The three other medical facilities are New York University Langone Medical Center, the Manhattan VA Medical Center and Coney Island Hospital.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 54347Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 32459Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims