Drogba asks FIFA for permission to make loan move
ZURICH (AP) — Didier Drogba has asked FIFA for special permission to move on loan from his Chinese club despite being outside the official transfer window.
FIFA says it is considering the former Chelsea forward's request for an exemption from international rules.
Drogba's season with Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua finished this month.
If FIFA grants Drogba's request, the 34-year-old Ivory Coast captain could play for a new team to prepare for the African Cup of Nations, which kicks off on Jan. 19 in South Africa.
Existing rules prevent Drogba from representing another club until Jan. 1.
Drogba signed a contract through 2014 with Shanghai weeks after helping Chelsea win the Champions League title in May. He scored an 88th-minute equalizer, then struck the winning penalty in the shootout.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater