No, thanks: NHL lockout talks break off again
NEW YORK (AP) — Jaymes Hall had a question for NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the lockout, which already has wiped out more than a quarter of the regular season: Why not put aside the money in dispute and get back on the ice.
Hall tried to get in his question while Bettman was responding to media members outside the league's Manhattan office. When the commissioner was done, he turned his attention to the 41-year-old fan from Lancaster, Pa.
"When you're dealing with a union that really isn't trying to negotiate, make any deal that we can live with for the long-term health of this game, there isn't much else you can do," Bettman said while the audience came out of the Roundabout Theater next door following a Wednesday matinee.
"And we're hoping that with the passage of time, the players' association will come to realize that what we have proposed has been more than fair. And the fact that we're keeping this proposal on the table, when it was contingent on an 82-game season, should be evidence of our desire to get this done the right way."
NHL labor talks broke off soon after they resumed Wednesday, with players maintaining their new proposal was a huge economic concession and Bettman pretty much saying the only deal he will agree to is the one management proposed last month.
On the 67th day of the lockout, the sides headed home for Thanksgiving with no end in sight to the sport's fourth work stoppage. The union's negotiating committee planned to brief players and get back in touch with management on Friday.
Informed of Bettman's comments, union head Donald Fehr said, "my response is they seem to consider negotiating to be merely agreeing with them."
"We've identified what's important to players, but they seem to be so far at least unwilling to treat those concerns in a serious way," Fehr said in a telephone interview.
Players made what both sides called a comprehensive proposal. Fehr said the sides were $182 million apart in a five-year deal, which comes to $1.2 million annually for each of the 30 teams.
"On the big things there was as of today no reciprocity in any meaningful sense, no movement on the players' share, no movement on salary-arbitration eligibility, no movement on free agency eligibility, no agreement on a pension plan," Fehr said as he left the talks.
Management wants to increase eligibility for free agency to 28 years of age or eight seasons of NHL service, up from 27 years or seven seasons.
Management also proposed adding a year of service for salary arbitration eligibility, hiking it from 1-4 to 2-5 years of service, depending on the age a player signs, a person familiar with the bargaining said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that detail wasn't announced.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes