Texas Tech defeats Jackson State 84-75
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Jaye Crockett did not let early foul trouble prevent him from being the scorer Texas Tech has come to rely upon.
The 6-foot-7, 200-pound junior forward scored 20 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead Texas Tech to an 84-75 win over Jackson State Monday night. It was Crockett's third straight game as the Red Raiders' leading scorer as Texas Tech has won all four of its games this season.
"That's why he's a spark off the bench," Texas Tech coach Chris Walker said. "That's the very reason why."
Dejan Kravic added 16 points, eight rebounds, and five blocks for the Red Raiders.
"He's so versatile," Walker said of the 6-foot-11 Kravic. "We've only seen a shell of what Dejan is, and he's only going to get better."
Josh Gray and Jamal Williams Jr. each added 12 points.
"What I'm most proud of is Josh Gray had seven steals, and that turns the game for us," Walker said.
Gray had two of his seven steals in the first two minutes of the second half that helped the Red Raiders to an 11-0 run, putting them ahead to stay.
Christian Williams led the Tigers (0-3) with 22 points, 18 of which came from behind the 3-point line. Derrell Taylor added 18 points and eight rebounds for Jackson State.
Jackson State led 11-1 early before Crockett came off the bench to help the Red Raiders pull within three. Crockett, who doesn't start but plays as many minutes as a starter does, scored five consecutive points and revived Texas Tech's offense. But early foul trouble would slow Crockett and the Red Raiders down.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed