Share “Officer: Suicide led to wariness about...”

Officer: Suicide led to wariness about Manning

Associated Press Modified: November 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm •  Published: November 28, 2012

FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) — An Army private accused of sending reams of classified U.S. documents to the secret-spilling website WikiLeaks was kept in tight pretrial confinement partly because another prisoner had recently committed suicide, the former security chief at the Quantico, Va., Marine Corps base testified Wednesday.

Marine Col. Robert Oltman appeared as a witness on the second day of a pretrial hearing for Pfc. Bradley Manning, who is seeking dismissal of all charges, claiming his confinement in the Quantico brig amounted to illegal punishment.

Oltman and others have testified that psychiatrists who examined Manning at Quantico repeatedly recommended that his conditions be eased. But Oltman, whose command included the brig, said he was skeptical about at least one of those recommendations because another detainee had killed himself in December 2009 after his custody status was reduced based upon the advice of the same doctor, Navy Capt. William Hocter, the psychiatrist assigned to the brig.

"He didn't have the strongest credibility with me with regards to his recommendations," Oltman said under questioning by civilian defense attorney David Coombs.

Oltman said repeatedly that he preferred to "err on the side of caution" on Manning's confinement.

Manning was held at Quantico for nine months, from July 2010 to April 2011, when he was moved to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Throughout his time at Quantico, he was designated a "maximum custody" detainee and considered at risk of either suicide or harming himself or others. He was locked up alone for at least 23 hours a day, forced to sleep naked for several nights and required to stand naked at attention one morning, his lawyers assert.

At Fort Leavenworth, Manning was re-evaluated and given a medium-security classification.

Oltman said he told Hocter in January 2011 that Manning would remain on "prevention of injury" status unless senior officers decided otherwise.

Oltman acknowledged he told Hocter: "''Nothing's going to change. He won't be able to hurt himself. He's not going to be able to get away, and our way of ensuring this is that he will remain on this status indefinitely."

On cross-examination by prosecutor Maj. Ashden Fein, Oltman said that neither he nor any senior officers ever made decisions regarding Manning's custody classification. Oltman said those decisions were made by the brig commander, a position that during Manning's confinement was held by Chief Warrant Officer 4 James Averhart and then by Chief Warrant Officer 2 Denise Barnes.

Hocter testified later in the day that he considered Manning a suicide risk when the soldier first arrived at Quantico from Kuwait. Eight days later, seeing no suicidal tendencies, Hocter recommended an easing to "prevention-of-injury" status and the brig commander agreed. The change meant jailers would check on Manning every 15 minutes instead of every five. But for the next four months, nearly until Hocter deployed to Afghanistan, jailers rejected his weekly recommendations for further easing Manning's restrictions, Hocter said.

Continue reading this story on the...