L&R buying SAJ distributors from Walgreen
NEW YORK (AP) — L&R Distributors Inc. said Wednesday that it is acquiring SAJ Distributors and a private-label product line from Walgreen Co. for an undisclosed sum.
Walgreen acquired SAJ earlier this year when it bought the USA Drug drugstore chain from Stephen L. LaFrance Holdings Inc.
L&R, based in New York, said the deal will add another 1,000 distribution points to business. The company is a national distributor of cosmetics and other products to supermarket, drugstore and other retailers.
The privately held company said it will continue to operate the SAJ distribution center and offices at their location in Pine Bluff, Ark. It will keep the SAJ name and retain many of its staff. L&R said it plans to introduce new items and programs to the SAJ division.
The deal also includes the private-label Select Brand line.
Shares in Walgreen, which is based in Deerfield, Ill., rose 29 cents to $33.32.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims