Test: NJ mom who decapitated toddler had used PCP
CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — Toxicology tests show a New Jersey woman who decapitated her 2-year-old son and then killed herself in August had smoked PCP-laced marijuana.
The Camden County Prosecutor's released the test results Monday showing 34-year-old Chevonne Thomas had used the drug before killing her son and putting his head in a freezer.
The woman had suffered from mental illness and had twice lost custody of her son because of drug use. It was believed from the Aug. 22 tragedy that she was using the drug known as "wet," which is linked to violence in some users.
The same drug was linked to another horrific crime in Camden weeks later. In that case, authorities say a man broke into a home where he attacked a sleeping girl, then fatally stabbed her 6-year-old brother.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit