Va. prosecutor named interim US attorney in N.O.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Justice Department has appointed Dana Boente as interim U.S. attorney in New Orleans following U.S. Attorney Jim Letten's announcement Thursday that he will resign.
Boente has served as first assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia since 2007.
In a statement, Attorney General Eric Holder said Boente has worked in the Justice Department's tax division and has handled fraud prosecutions in Virginia. He joined the department in 1984.
Letten said his resignation is effective Dec. 11 and that he plans to stay on with the department briefly to help with the transition in leadership.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort