Bielema ready for rugged SEC at Arkansas
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long first met Bret Bielema while in Miami attending an end-of-season awards ceremony surrounding the 2005 national championship game.
Bielema was an up-and-coming assistant coach at Wisconsin, and Long was the athletic director at Pittsburgh, still a few years away from leaving to take over the Razorbacks program.
Little did Long know that he would one day hire Bielema to coach Arkansas, helping end what had been a spiraling eight months for the Razorbacks following the scandal-ridden exit of Bobby Petrino.
The end of a secretive search came to an end Tuesday when the former Wisconsin coach agreed to take over the Razorbacks. The 43-year-old was introduced at a news conference the next day, giving Arkansas hope it can return to the upper echelon of the Southeastern Conference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36375Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32316Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24292Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 8069Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6178OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3621College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3359Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?