Bus driver not guilty of manslaughter in NY crash

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm •  Published: December 7, 2012
Advertisement
;

NEW YORK (AP) — A tour bus driver who prosecutors said was all but asleep at the wheel was acquitted Friday of manslaughter and negligent homicide in a crash last year that killed 15 gamblers on their way from a Connecticut casino to New York City.

Ophadell Williams was found guilty on one count of aggravated unlicensed driving.

Williams wept and covered his face with his hands as the verdict was read. On the count which he was found guilty, the judge sentenced him to 30 days in prison, which he has served. He also was ordered to pay a fee of $500.

Williams argued throughout the trial that he had been awake and alert, and he said the crash was not the result of reckless behavior or extreme exhaustion. He said a tractor-trailer cut him off, causing him to swerve and hit a guardrail. But investigators could find no indication that had occurred.

His lawyer had said he was wracked with guilt over the crash — but not guilty of manslaughter.

"It happened as a motor vehicle accident, not as some crime," said Williams' lawyer, Patrick Bruno. "He tried to avoid tragedy, and tragedy occurred."

The defendant left the courthouse without speaking. His lawyer said Williams just wanted to go home and relax with his family.

"He had great faith that he would be vindicated," Bruno said outside court. "He said, 'Thank you so much. I knew that they would do the right thing.' ... His wife and sister hugged and kissed me and said: 'Thank you. This is the greatest Christmas and birthday gift of all.'"

Bruno said the verdict made an important legal point.

"It's saying that if you are going to try and make fatigue — sleepiness — a criminal legal issue in a motor vehicle accident, you have a lot, lot more to prove," he said.

Florence Wong, whose father, 76-year-old Don Lee, was killed in the crash, told reporters that she still believes Williams is responsible for the lives lost.

"I do not agree with the jury, but I respect their decision because they did look at the evidence and they came out with a verdict," she said.

Prosecutor Garry Wiel called the not guilty verdict a disappointment.

"I believe that we had enough evidence to show the jury that he should be held criminally responsible," Wiel said. "The jury made their decision based on the evidence."

Weil had alleged Williams was so sleep-deprived from working another job during the day that it affected his reflexes as much as if he were intoxicated behind the wheel. He said Williams knew the risks, but drove anyway.

The trial lasted more than eight weeks, with Superstorm Sandy causing a delay. Jurors deliberated about a week, but not consecutively.

| |

Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    10 performances that rocked music festival history
  2. 2
    KFOR: Biological mother wants adopted son back from well-known Oklahoma City family
  3. 3
    KFOR: Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
  4. 4
    KOTV: Judge gives Oklahoma stalker 2 weeks to apply for group home
  5. 5
    Antonin Scalia faults Sonia Sotomayor for 'doubly shameful' suggestion that Michigan voters are...
+ show more