Bayern marches on, Schalke out of German Cup
BERLIN (AP) — Bayern Munich overcame a red card for Franck Ribery to reach the quarterfinals of the German Cup with a 2-0 win at Augsburg on Tuesday.
Ribery set up Mario Gomez for Bayern's opening goal in the 26th minute of the third round match, when the Frenchman got his cross in despite the attention of three defenders.
It should have been 2-0 before the break, when Anatoliy Tymoshchuk struck the crossbar with a tremendous shot from distance. Play continued despite TV replays showing the ball crossed the line. Augsburg goalkeeper Alexander Manninger denied Bastian Schweinsteiger from the rebound and the Bayern midfielder struck the crossbar with an overhead kick from the second attempt.
Ribery was sent off early in the second half after an altercation with Koo Ja-Cheol. The Frenchman struck Koo lightly in the face in retaliation for a slap unseen by the referee, leaving the South Korean lucky to escape with just a yellow.
"The red card was provoked, but it should be discussed," said Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes.
Augsburg's penalty claims in the 53rd— when Dante appeared to handle the ball in the area — went unheeded.
Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer — who was superb throughout — denied Torsten Oehrl an equalizer, before Thomas Mueller reached the keeper's long kick upfield and crossed for Xherdan Shaqiri to secure the result with five minutes remaining.
"To have such a present, to play against Bayern with 10 men and without Ribery, and still make nothing of it, then we don't deserve to go further," Augsburg midfielder Daniel Baier said.
The win wraps up a good few months for Bayern, which has a nine-point lead in the Bundesliga.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law