Lions, Falcons honor school shooting victims
DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Lions and Atlanta Falcons honored the victims of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School before their game Saturday night and had memorial decals on their helmets.
There was a moment of silence before the national anthem while the names and ages of each victim were shown on the videoboards at Ford Field.
The decals on the back of the helmets read "S.H.E.S." in white on a black background. The Lions' coaches wore pins with a similar design.
Twenty children and six adults were killed in the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown, Conn. Adam Lanza killed his mother, shot students and staff, then killed himself.
Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad