Waltrip to enter Daytona 500 with Swan Racing
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Michael Waltrip will enter the Daytona 500 this season with Swan Racing.
The two-time Daytona 500 winner will drive the No. 30 Toyota in a one-race deal. The team will use full-time driver David Stremme the rest of the season.
The season-opening Feb. 24 race marks the debut for the team under new owner Brandon Davis, who has vowed the No. 30 car will no longer "start and park." In the team overhaul, Davis hired crew chief Tony Eury Jr. and competition director Steve Hmiel.
Eury, Hmiel and Waltrip worked together at Dale Earnhardt Inc., where Waltrip won the 2001 and 2003 Daytona 500s. Waltrip and Eury were paired together for 26 races in 2005.
Waltrip will bring with him an engine from Toyota Racing Development.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in