Hawks suspend top-scorer Josh Smith for 1 game
ATLANTA (AP) — The Atlanta Hawks suspended top-scorer Josh Smith for Wednesday night's home game against the Brooklyn Nets for "conduct detrimental to the team" following an incident in practice the previous day.
The one-game suspension, which comes with an undisclosed fine, was announced Wednesday by Hawks general manager Danny Ferry.
Hawks coach Larry Drew would provide no details on the incident in Tuesday's practice.
"I really don't want to put too much focus on that anymore," Drew said before the game against the Nets. "Tomorrow we'll welcome Josh back with open arms and we'll move forward."
Hawks guard Jeff Teague also would provide no details on the incident.
"I don't even remember," Teague said. "I think the whole practice was just a good day. I don't even remember what happened or how it went down or anything."
Smith was called for a technical foul in Monday night's 97-58 loss at Chicago. Only a late basket by Teague saved the Hawks from setting their lowest scoring total in franchise history.
The Hawks have lost six of seven.
"Clearly I am competitive and was frustrated by our recent losses," Smith said in a statement released by the team. "I understand and respect the team's actions and just want to get back on the court to do whatever is necessary to help my teammates. I apologize for letting them down and apologize to our fans for not being available for tonight's game."
Smith was not expected to be at Philips Arena on Wednesday night.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister