News Summary: American Express' 4Q earnings fall
EARNINGS DOWN: American Express' net income fell 47 percent in the fourth quarter, as the credit card issuer racked up charges related to restructuring costs and other expenses. The company's adjusted earnings beat Wall Street estimates.
THE NUMBERS: For the three months ended Dec. 31, net income fell to $637 million, or 56 cents per share. That compares with net income of $1.2 billion, or $1.01 per share, in the same period last year. Revenue in the latest quarter grew 5 percent to $8.14 billion.
SPENDING UP: Spending by American Express cardholders rose 8 percent.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction