COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The lawyer for one of two high school football players charged with raping a 16-year-old girl wants to delay the trial and also have it moved out of an eastern Ohio city that has received international attention.
Attorney Brian Duncan filed the motion Friday on behalf of Trent Mays, who is scheduled for trial next month in juvenile court in Steubenville. Duncan expects to file another motion this week to move the trial.
An attorney for the other defendant, Ma'Lik Richmond, filed similar motions earlier this month, as well as a request to close the trial to the public.
Richmond's attorney, Walter Madison, said in an email Tuesday that the visiting judge handling the case has denied a request to give the defendants separate trials.
The Ohio Attorney General's Office, which is prosecuting the case, wouldn't comment.
The case has gained global attention through the work of bloggers and hacker-activists who allege other football players should be charged but are being protected by a cover-up. A video and photo posted online also have drawn attention to the case.
In a statement earlier this month, Duncan urged the public not to let the case reflect on the Steubenville area in general. He also acknowledged the role of social media in in the case but again urged people not to draw conclusions.
"We certainly recognize that the video, photograph, alleged facts, and surrounding circumstances set forth on the Internet and portrayed in the media would cause even the most optimistic of man to call into question the defendants' presumption of innocence," Duncan said in the Jan. 9 statement.