Disney says JJ Abrams to direct next 'Star Wars'

Published on NewsOK Modified: January 26, 2013 at 12:48 am •  Published: January 26, 2013
Advertisement
;

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It's official. The force is with J.J. Abrams.

The Walt Disney Co. issued a statement Friday night confirming reports that had been circulating for two days that Abrams, Emmy-award-winning creator of TV's "Lost" and director of 2009's "Star Trek" movie, has been pegged to direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" franchise.

"J.J. is the perfect director to helm this," said Kathleen Kennedy, the movie's producer and president of Lucasfilm, which was acquired by Disney last month for $4.06 billion.

"Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience," Kennedy said in the statement.

The movie will have a script from "Toy Story 3" writer Michael Arndt and a 2015 release.

Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" in the original trilogy, will work as a consultant on the new project.

Abrams has already headed the reboot of another storied space franchise, "Star Trek," for rival studio Paramount Pictures. The next installment in that series, "Star Trek: Into Darkness," is set to hit theaters May 17.

Continue reading this story on the...


Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    ‘The Walking Dead’ Actress Says The Hardest Part About Season 4 Was A Major Character's Death
  2. 2
    CNN Anchor Says 'Anyway You Slice It' Three Times In 10 Seconds Discussing Beheading
  3. 3
    Photos: Potato Salad Kickstarter party was smash hit
  4. 4
    Opry star Jim Ed Brown has lung cancer
  5. 5
    Dallas hospital isolates possible Ebola patient
+ show more