News Summary: Fishermen say new rules mean ruin
TIPPING THE SCALES: The New England Fishery Management Council has approved a 77 percent cut on the Gulf of Maine cod limit and 61 percent for Georges Bank cod. They follow a slew of other reductions on catches of other fish.
FLOUNDERING: Fishermen say now they're staring at industry collapse because they've been left with far too few fish for most boats to make a living.
TANGLED NET: NOAA's top federal fisheries regulator acknowledged the reductions will be devastating. But he said fish stocks are struggling and the industry's steady, excruciating decline must be reversed.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims