NJ woman with MS found guilty of killing husband
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) — A mother of three who has multiple sclerosis and uses a wheelchair has been found guilty of fatally shooting her husband inside their northern New Jersey home.
The jury on Thursday found 47 year-old Amalia Mirasola of Butler guilty of the 2010 murder of her husband, 43-year-old Carl Mirasola.
The jury also found her guilty of the possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.
Amalia Mirasola's attorney tried to argue his client had acted in self-defense. The all-female jury deliberated for about a day and a half before returning a verdict in state Superior Court in Morristown.
Family members had said at the time of the shooting that the couple was planning to end their 19-year-marriage.
Mirasola faces up to life in prison at her March 15 sentencing.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort