Oregon women fall 86-62 to No. 4 Stanford
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Oregon freshman Jillian Alleyne appreciated going against Stanford star Chiney Ogwumike, even if it was another loss for the Ducks.
"It was a great experience to go against Ogwumike because she's a great player and she's known throughout the nation," Alleyne said.
Ogwumike had 22 points and 13 rebounds, and fourth-ranked Stanford beat Oregon 86-62 on Friday night for its fifth consecutive win.
Ogwumike came into the game ranked sixth in the nation with an average of 22 points, and seventh with an average of 12 rebounds. Her double-double against Oregon was her 16th this season.
Alleyne had 13 points and 13 rebounds for the Ducks, her eighth double-double. She currently leads the conference and is ranked 3rd in the nation with an average of 12.9 rebounds per game.
She is the first freshman to lead the league in rebounding since Arizona's Shawntinice Polk in 2002-03
"I just know I have to keep working hard because I have to do more," Alleyne said. It's great to be No. 1 in the Pac-12 and it's great to be No. 3 in the nation and I'm working hard to be No. 1 in the nation by the end of my freshman year."
Joslyn Tinkle had 16 points for the Cardinal (19-2, 7-1), who led by as many as 29 points in their 12th straight victory on the road this season.
It was also the 400th Pac-12 victory for Tara VanDerveer, who is the only coach in conference history to win that many league games.
The Cardinal are undefeated since a 67-55 loss to then-No. 7 California on Jan. 13 at Maples Pavilion. Stanford's only other loss came against then-No. 2 Connecticut in late December.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort