Death toll in Brazil nightclub fire rises to 237
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — State health officials say a 22-year-old man injured in last week's deadly nightclub fire in southern Brazil has died.
The Rio Grande do Sul Health Secretariat says Bruno Portella Fricks died late Saturday from injuries he sustained in last Sunday's blaze.
Fricks' death brings to 237 the death toll from the fire at the Kiss nightclub in the college town of Santa Maria.
In its statement Sunday, the health secretariat said 101 people injured in the fire remain hospitalized.
Police say the fire likely started when a band set off flares, which ignited soundproofing foam on the ceiling. Police investigators have also said the club was lacking basic fire safety equipment, and a judge last week extended the temporary detentions of the club's owners and two band members by 30 days.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers