Betsey Johnson gets active with runway workout
NEW YORK (AP) — Betsey Johnson didn't just have a party at Lincoln Center. She led an exercise class.
The tireless 71-year-old designer, best known for punky prom dresses and a lot of pink, introduced her fall collection Monday as a theatrical exercise video for the Style Network program "Betsey and Lulu," which follows the lives of Johnson and her daughter.
It was a catwalk of energetic, giggly models in active wear chatting on cellphones as they waved to attendees, then an exercise routine led by the designer that included running in place, yoga and pull-ups. Rows of pink yoga mats were strewn on the runway, each accompanied by a pair of high-top sneakers, towels and wine bottles.
The collection, named "BJ Kicks A," veered from the high school dance party looks that she has championed for decades, running toward a junior high school gym class with a lot of cheek. It was an explosion of neon pink and yellow, animal prints and plaids on mini dresses worn over leggings, a veritable visual feast piled over one another.
A bright yellow and black tartan plaid mini dress served as the base for black leggings, a shiny red belt, and a black-and-white patent leather jacket accented in lipstick red and backed with a giant red heart. A string of white pearls alluded to the idea that perhaps the dress could be appropriate outside the gym. And to top it off, the models — as well as Johnson — pulled their hair into long ponytails, then donned contrasting bowl-cut style wigs to demonstrate just how flouncy it all could be.
Taken as separates, the clothes were more approachable than Johnson's standard party looks, and somehow more on-trend. The leggings, some in solid black, others in brightly colored camouflage or neon floral prints, was a Johnson take on the printed trouser look.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad