Correction: Wireless Show-Firefox Phones story
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — In a story Feb. 24 about the launch of phones using the Firefox web browser, The Associated Press reported erroneously that 13 phone companies around the world have committed to supporting the phones. The figure is in fact 18.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Firefox phones coming this summer
Firefox phones coming this summer; yet another hopeful alternative to Apple and Google
By PETER SVENSSON
AP Technology Writer
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Mozilla, the non-profit foundation behind the popular Firefox Web browser, is getting into phones. But it's not stopping at Web browsers — it's launching an entire phone operating system.
The Mountain View, Calif.-based foundation said Sunday that phones running Firefox OS will appear this summer, starting in Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela.
The Firefox OS will land in a crowded environment, where many small operating systems are trying to become the "third eco-system," alongside Apple's iOS and Google's Android. Together, those two account for 91 percent of smartphone sales, according to research firm IDC.
Mozilla Foundation has an ally in phone companies, who are interested in seeing an alternative to Apple and Google, particularly one coming from a non-profit foundation. Eighteen phone companies around the world have committed to supporting Firefox phones, Mozilla said. They include Sprint Nextel in the U.S., Telecom Italia, America Movil of Mexico and Deutsche Telekom of Germany. DT is the parent of T-Mobile USA, but plans to sell Firefox phones first in Poland. Sprint didn't say when it would release a Firefox phone in the U.S.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss