SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (AP) — Atascadero State Hospital officials say three nursing staffers were hurt this week while they were trying to calm an unruly patient.
Spokesman Craig Dacus tells the San Luis Obispo Tribune (http://bit.ly/13KBlCS ) the employees, who are not identified publicly, reported minor injuries following the Tuesday morning incident.
Atascadero is one of five state facilities that houses mentally ill and disordered convicts who have been committed to psychiatric facilities by California's courts. The maximum-security facility has 1,275 beds, and also houses those who are mentally incompetent to stand trial and those found not guilty by reason of insanity.
In December, state workplace safety officials fined the hospital $27,000 for worker safety lapses, saying in their report that hospital employees suffered 10 patient-caused injuries a month, on average.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims