Share “Wash. man accused of strangling grandparents”

Wash. man accused of strangling grandparents

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm •  Published: March 14, 2013

SEATTLE (AP) — The mother of a man suspected of killing his grandparents says her parents always "saw the good" in Michael Chadd Boysen and were like "second parents" to him.

Although Boysen, 26, had spent time in prison for burglary and robberies related to a drug addiction, Melanie Taylor said he "never threatened the family and the family never felt threatened by him."

Taylor's comments, made to King County sheriff's Sgt. Cindi West, were released Thursday. The family has requested privacy.

Robert R. Taylor, 82, and Norma J. Taylor, 80, were strangled last Saturday in their Renton home. They had hosted a family welcome home party for Boysen the night before, after his release from prison.

The King County medical examiner's office released the cause of death Thursday.

Melanie Taylor found the bodies.

"When it came to Chadd, they saw the good in him and were forgiving of his choices," she said of her parents. "They were warrior spirits fighting for a cause and that cause was Chadd.

"They still love him and I do too," she said.

Taylor described a loving boy and good student who developed addictive behaviors as he grew up. She said she and her former husband adopted the boy as a baby and she "loved him from the minute he was put in my arm."

Boysen was arrested Tuesday after a daylong standoff at a motel in Lincoln City, Ore. He's in serious condition and conscious at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, West said Thursday.

The elderly couple had picked Boysen up last Friday from the Washington state prison at Monroe. They spent about six hours that day driving him on errands to get things he needed to start a six-month drug treatment and rehabilitation program, Melanie Taylor said.

At a family celebration dinner that night, "Chadd was upbeat and talked about the wonderful day he had with his grandparents," she recalled.

After the bodies were found, King County Sheriff John Urquhart called Boysen extremely dangerous because of threats he had made while in prison against his family and law enforcement. Authorities didn't learn of the threats until after he made the news, suspected of killing in his grandparents.

Continue reading this story on the...