Hamlin won't appeal fine for criticizing new car

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm •  Published: March 14, 2013
Advertisement
;

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Denny Hamlin and NASCAR settled their censorship flap Thursday when he announced he would not appeal the $25,000 fine levied against him for criticizing the new Gen-6 car.

But Hamlin held his ground on refusing to pay the fine. NASCAR said the fine will be settled per the rule book, which allows the sanctioning body to garnish the money from a driver's race winnings.

"Dragging myself, my team and NASCAR through the mud for the next 2 weeks would not be good for anyone," Hamlin posted on Twitter. "I firmly believe I am in the right on this issue and will stand behind my decision not to pay. I understand NASCAR will do what they feel is necessary based on my decision."

NASCAR does have the option to suspend Hamlin until he pays the fine, but said in its statement it considers the matter closed.

It remains to be seen how fans of the series react.

The backlash against NASCAR was fast and furious when Hamlin was fined last week for criticizing the car after his third-place run at Phoenix. It was the second race for the new car, and Hamlin said, "I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars. This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning."

Informed of the fine during a test at Las Vegas, Hamlin angrily said he would be suspended before he'd pay the $25,000.

Upon learning he could appeal the fine, he announced his intention to do so and Joe Gibbs Racing indicated it backed its driver.

Continue reading this story on the...