Police: Choking driver caused NM Walmart explosion

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 22, 2013 at 9:38 am •  Published: March 22, 2013
Advertisement
;

DEMING, N.M. (AP) — Police say man who choked on his food while driving caused a chain reaction that led to a fireball exploding over a Walmart in southwestern New Mexico.

The Deming Headlight reports (http://bit.ly/YtpLbN) 61-year-old Robert Sheppard told police he was eating as he drove Saturday in front of the Walmart Superstore in Deming and that he began to choke, causing him to lose control of his pickup truck.

According to police, the pickup, traveling at a "high rate of speed," struck a propane tank attached to a grill.

Witnesses reported seeing a massive fireball that extended over the roof of the store.

Police say three people were injured in the crash.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Best cities to launch a startup
  2. 2
    Drought-stricken California may restrict outdoor water use
  3. 3
    Eva Mendes, Ryan Gosling pregnancy sparks Twitter shock from fans - NY Daily News
  4. 4
    Advocates for blind, deaf want more from Apple
  5. 5
    World Cup Fan Scores Modeling Gig From Cheering
+ show more