GALVESTON, Texas (AP) — Jurors on Tuesday began deliberating the case of a Houston man accused of fatally shooting a 79-year-old woman when he opened fire on his daughter outside a Texas courthouse last year.
Bartholomew Granger, 42, is charged with capital murder in the death of Minnie Ray Sebolt last March. If convicted, he faces life in prison without parole or the death penalty.
Prosecutors want the former truck driver and rapper on death row.
Granger has acknowledged that he fired at his daughter and ran over her with his truck outside the Jefferson County Courthouse in downtown Beaumont after she accused him of sexual assault and testified against him in the case. But he said he did not shoot Sebolt, a bystander who was accompanying a relative to the courthouse.
Granger's daughter, now 22, survived the March 14, 2012, attack but spent three months in a coma. She testified against him last week.
Jefferson County assistant district attorney Ed Shettle said in closing arguments Tuesday that recordings of jail phone calls showed Granger saying he was proud of the attack.
"I ask you to do what you know in your heart," Shettle told jurors. "Find him guilty."
Granger insisted Monday that he had run out of bullets while shooting at his daughter and therefore could not have killed Sebolt.
White House Program Cuts Up to $1k off Monthly Payments! (3.05% APR)