Artists provide visual fuel for Oklahoma City church's 'race'
Artist Bob Palmer and others with his Bob Palmer Studios recently painted a race track-themed mural for Oakcrest Church of Christ's children's ministry called Starting Line Kids. The church is in Oklahoma City.
A colorful racetrack-themed mural has transformed the halls of one south Oklahoma City church.
Bob Palmer of Bob Palmer Studios recently created the mural on several walls in the children's area at Oakcrest Church of Christ, 1111 SW 89.
Children's minister Jennifer Grimes said the church wanted something youth-oriented but Scripture-based for its children's ministry called “Starting Line Kids.”
“We knew we were going to make some changes to our hallway, and we wanted something fun for the kids but we also wanted something that tied to Scripture,” she said.
Palmer, an art professor at the University of Central Oklahoma, is well known for the numerous murals he has painted in the Oklahoma City metro area.
Grimes said the church's mural helps reflect several Scriptures that liken a Christian's faith journey to running a race. She said the artwork places a car race spin on the concept.
Grimes said the mural includes several slogans based on Scriptures, including 1 Corinthians 9:24, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way to get the prize,” and Hebrews 12:1-2, “ ... Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”
She said the children's ministry includes Bible classes at 9 a.m. and children's worship activities at 10 a.m. on Sundays. She said the ministry also offers classes for children on Wednesday evenings.
“We exist to lay the spiritual foundation for kids,” she said.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad