Artists provide visual fuel for Oklahoma City church's 'race'
Artist Bob Palmer and others with his Bob Palmer Studios recently painted a race track-themed mural for Oakcrest Church of Christ's children's ministry called Starting Line Kids. The church is in Oklahoma City.
A colorful racetrack-themed mural has transformed the halls of one south Oklahoma City church.
Bob Palmer of Bob Palmer Studios recently created the mural on several walls in the children's area at Oakcrest Church of Christ, 1111 SW 89.
Children's minister Jennifer Grimes said the church wanted something youth-oriented but Scripture-based for its children's ministry called “Starting Line Kids.”
“We knew we were going to make some changes to our hallway, and we wanted something fun for the kids but we also wanted something that tied to Scripture,” she said.
Palmer, an art professor at the University of Central Oklahoma, is well known for the numerous murals he has painted in the Oklahoma City metro area.
Grimes said the church's mural helps reflect several Scriptures that liken a Christian's faith journey to running a race. She said the artwork places a car race spin on the concept.
Grimes said the mural includes several slogans based on Scriptures, including 1 Corinthians 9:24, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way to get the prize,” and Hebrews 12:1-2, “ ... Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”
She said the children's ministry includes Bible classes at 9 a.m. and children's worship activities at 10 a.m. on Sundays. She said the ministry also offers classes for children on Wednesday evenings.
“We exist to lay the spiritual foundation for kids,” she said.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims