A's get RHP Resop from Pirates for RHP Thornton
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Athletics have acquired right-hander Chris Resop from the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league right-hander Zach Thornton.
The A's also announced Friday that they will not offer a contract to outfielder Jermaine Mitchell. A move to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Resop will be announced later.
Resop was 1-4 with one save and a 3.91 ERA in 61 relief appearances with Pittsburgh last year. The 30-year-old has spent parts of seven seasons in the majors with Florida, the Los Angeles Angels, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. He has a 9-11 career record with two saves and a 4.51 ERA in 213 games.
Thornton went 4-0 with 16 saves and a 4.53 ERA in 48 relief appearances for Class A Stockton last season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say