Asia stock markets mixed, Japan's Nikkei jumps
Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.4 percent to 23,506.29. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.4 percent to 4,831.20.
Among individual stocks, Japan's Sony Corp. jumped 8.4 percent and Toshiba Corp. advanced 5.8 percent.
South Korea's Samsung Electronics, which said the strong won will hurt its earnings this year, fell 2.5 percent. South Korean carmaker Hyundai Motor Co. shed 3.9 percent.
On Wall Street, a sharp drop in Apple's stock pulled the Nasdaq down after the tech giant warned of weaker sales. Other stock market indexes posted slight gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 0.3 percent to close at 13,825.33. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose less than 0.1 percent to 1,494.82. The Nasdaq composite lost 0.7 percent to 3,130.38.
Benchmark oil for March delivery was down 18 cents to $95.77 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract gained 72 cents to finish at $95.95 a barrel on the Nymex on Thursday.
In currencies, the euro fell to $1.3361 from $1.3371 late Thursday in New York. The dollar rose to 90.47 yen from 89.96 yen.
Follow Pamela Sampson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pamelasampson
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit