Assault at Oklahoma City clinic leads to man's arrest
Branden Scott Niblett, 26, was arrested on an assault with a dangerous weapon complaint Monday after an off-duty officer saw him hit a woman with a metal folding chair at an Oklahoma City mental health and substance abuse clinic, police said.
A man was shocked with a Taser after an officer saw him hit a woman with a chair in an Oklahoma City mental health and substance abuse clinic, according to a report released Wednesday.
Branden Scott Niblett, 26, was arrested Monday on a complaint of assault with a dangerous weapon.
An off-duty officer was working at the clinic when he heard a loud disturbance from one of the classrooms, according to the report.
A teacher ran out and yelled at the officer for help. The officer ran into classroom and saw a man holding a metal folding chair by its legs and threatening to swing it at a woman, police said.
The officer yelled at the man to put the chair down, but the man swung the chair at the woman “in a baseball bat style” and hit her, according to the report.
The officer drew his Taser and fired twice. The first shot hit the man's thick clothing. The officer aimed the second shock at the man's neck, police said.
The officer said he could not try to tackle the man or use his pepper spray because the room was full of people.
Niblett was taken to Integris Southwest Medical Center for examination, and then was taken to the Oklahoma County jail. He was being held Wednesday on $5,000 bail.
Police would not say whether Niblett or the woman were clients at NorthCare, and the clinic did not return a phone call seeking comment.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash