At a glance
About Canton Lake
Congress authorized the Canton Lake project in 1938 for flood control. The Flood Control Acts of 1946 and 1948 authorized irrigation and municipal water supply storage for the city of Enid. Because Enid did not access its storage rights, in 1955 Oklahoma City began a series of five-year contracts with the federal government to utilize Canton's water storage. Both the irrigation storage and the water storage were reassigned to Oklahoma City through Section 102 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1990. The initial project was started in 1940, but construction was halted temporarily due to World War II. After the war, the Army Corps of Engineers resumed work, and the project was completed in late 1948 and formally dedicated in May 1949. The cost to build the Canton Project was $11 million.
SOURCE: Army Corps of Engineers