Michael Dell and a group of investors have made a $24.4 billion bid to buy out the company bearing his name. A vote has been delayed until next week to give the board more time to collect votes. Here's a brief biography of Michael Dell:
• CURRENT TITLE: Founder, chairman, CEO, Dell Inc.
• AGE: 48
• BORN: February 1965, to an orthodontist and a stockbroker
• EDUCATION: Attended the University of Texas and started a computer business in his dorm room. Dropped out in 1984 to focus on building the company by emphasizing direct sales to customers rather than going through retail middlemen.
• CAREER: Made his first $1,000 by selling stamps at age 12, and sold newspaper subscriptions for the now-defunct Houston Post. Founded PCs Limited, now known as Dell, in 1984 at age 19. In 1992, Dell became the youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 company. He stepped down as CEO in 2004 and resumed that role in 2007.
• PHILANTHROPY: The Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, which focuses on children's issues