• Firearms were used in half of youth suicides in Oklahoma from 2004-07.
• Firearms are the predominant method of suicide among young males; hanging/strangulation, poisoning and firearms are the leading methods among young females.
• Depression is the leading circumstance associated with young male suicide; for young females, it's relationship problems.
• Twenty-six percent of Oklahoma youths who committed suicide from 2004-07 previously disclosed their intent.
Free and confidential hotlines for parents concerned their teen may be suicidal:
• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-TALK (8255)
• Parents Careline: 848-CARE (2273)
• (800) SUICIDE (784-2433)
For placement or greater treatment than talk therapy, call the state Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Department at 522-3908.
Sources: State Health Department, HeartLine Oklahoma