At a glance
Common warning signs of suicide:
• Giving away prized possessions.
• Increased substance abuse.
• Isolation and withdrawal.
• Feelings or statements of hopelessness.
• Talking or joking about death.
• Previous suicide attempts.
Other risk factors include a family history of suicide, a history of mental illness, stressful life event or loss, easy access to lethal methods, exposure to suicidal behavior of others, and incarceration.
Know your facts:
• Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Oklahomans ages 10 to 24.
• While young males are more likely to die from suicide, young females attempt it more often.
• The suicide rate for Native Americans is 66 percent higher than whites and Hispanics, and three times that of blacks.
Continue reading this story on the...