At a glance
New Oklahoma laws
A look at selected new laws that go into effect Friday:
• Senate Bill 501 gives cities and counties the authority to ban smoking on any properties they own. Smoking also is banned on state-owned property.
• House Bill 1413 allows licensed armed private investigators to carry an unconcealed firearm, whereas before they could only carry concealed.
• House Bill 1242 allows municipal judges to carry a firearm statewide, after passing a training course.
• House Bill 1622 allows private schools to draft their own rules allowing citizens licensed to carry a gun to do so on their property, including school buses operated by the school.
• Senate Bill 173 allows private property owners to prohibit the carrying of guns on their property and refuse admittance to anyone who fails to do so. The bill also allows persons issued a permanent victim's protective order to obtain a temporary handgun license not to exceed six months.