versus use tax
• A 4.5 percent state sales tax must be charged and collected on all purchases, transfers of title or possession of tangible personal property.
• The sales tax is also levied on certain services provided in Oklahoma.
• Counties and municipalities also levy sales taxes.
• Oklahoma state sales tax revenue in fiscal year 2012: $2.2 billion.
• A use tax must be paid on items bought outside the state and brought into Oklahoma.
• Some counties and municipalities also levy use taxes.
• Those making online or mail order purchases from companies not collecting Oklahoma sales tax are required to pay a use tax on those items.
• Retailers making sales from a business outside Oklahoma for use in the state are responsible for collecting state and local use taxes.
• Oklahoma state use tax revenue in fiscal year 2012: $223.6 million.
• Possible law change: A proposed federal law would subject all online shopping to state sales taxes.
• A closer look: A breakdown of sales and use tax revenue collections in Oklahoma is available at www.tax.ok.gov/rpt7.html.
Source: Oklahoma Tax Commission