Personnel matters at Douglass
• February 2008: Brian Staples is named principal after a first-year principal returned to his assistant principal position at another school.
• July 2008: Assistant Principal Marcia Muhammad is assigned to Douglass, despite Staples' objections. The two had previously worked together at Northeast Academy.
• March 2010: A man attacks Staples in the school parking lot. The man hit the principal with a baton or club shortly after school.
• June 2010: Douglass Middle School, which is part of Douglass High School, is one of several district schools to receive federal funding through School Improvement Grants. The grant comes with major reform requirements.
• June 2010: Assistant Principal Marcia Muhammad is put on administrative leave, and Staples recommends she be fired for disobedience and “unwillingness to work toward goals.” After an eight-hour hearing, the school board fires Muhammad.
• August 2010: An assistant librarian is fired after Staples reports she was chronically absent and didn't perform well at her job. The librarian says Staples harassed her and assigned her new job duties that caused stress.
Continue reading this story on the...