AT A GLANCE
Protecting against bites
The state Health Department recommends
taking the following precautions to protect against mosquito bites:
• Use an insect repellent containing DEET on exposed skin and clothing when you go outdoors. (Insect repellent with permethrin should be used on clothing only.)
• Place mosquito repellent in a handy and visible location in the home for easy access.
• Repair or install window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
• Prevent items such as buckets, cans, flower pots and tires from holding standing water so mosquitoes don't have a place to breed.
• Empty, clean and refill your bird baths and pets' outdoor water bowl daily.
• Clean leaves and debris from rain gutters regularly to ensure they are not clogged.
Source: Oklahoma Health Department