At a glance: Three school districts pay too much to administrators
Three school districts paid too much for administrative costs this year, according to the state Education Department. The districts face fines equal to the amount they overpaid their administrators.
Three school districts paid too much for administrative costs this year, according to the state Education Department. The districts face fines equal to the amount they overpaid their administrators. Here is information about each case.
Photoview all 9 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
• Cameron Public Schools, in Le Flore County, exceeded the limit by more than $58,000. Cameron Superintendent Jim Caughern wrote a one-sentence letter to the state Board of Education explaining the problem: “The reason for excess of administrative cost is due to the board of education electing to buy out previous superintendent, Carolyn White.” The district hasn't broken the rule before. Cameron received a C under the new state school evaluation system.
• Thackerville Public Schools, in Love County, spent nearly $29,000 too much. A buyout of former Superintendent David Herron pushed administrative costs above the legal limit, according to a letter written by payroll clerk Marcia Bell. “Our school had to buy out his contract beginning with February 2012 and ending in June 2012,” Bell wrote. “The amount of $32,659.35 was how much our district had to pay Mr. Herron for the remainder of his contract.” The district hasn't exceeded the cost rule in the past. Thackerville received a C under the new state school evaluation system.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers