At a glance
• Tornado hits Woodward about 8:40 p.m. April 9, 1947
• Woodward's population was 5,500
• 116 people killed (107 in Woodward) when tornadoes struck northwest Oklahoma.
• Tornado takes lives in four towns that night: Woodward; Gage; Higgins, Texas; and Glazier, Texas
• Jim Holland, Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper, reports to headquarters, “Half the town has been blown away” and all the aid possible is needed.
• Property damage was estimated to have exceeded $5 million
• 100 blocks of buildings, mostly residences, are leveled in Woodward.
• About 3,000 residents left homeless by destruction
Compiled by News Research Staff