Athletics beat Italy 4-3 ahead of WBC
PHOENIX (AP) — Jed Lowrie had two hits that including an RBI double and Yoenis Cespedes drove in a pair of runs to help the Oakland Athletics beat Italy 4-3 Tuesday in an exhibition ahead of the World Baseball Classic.
The Chicago Cubs' Anthony Rizzo homered in the fourth for Italy, which opens the WBC's first round Thursday against Mexico. Minnesota Twins minor leaguer Chris Colabello also homered and Washington farmhand Mike Constanzo added an RBI double in the ninth.
Costanzo was thrown out at home, ending the game when he tried to score on a wild pitch.
Coco Crisp and Jed Lowrie singled in the scored in the first against starter John Mariotti, who pitched last season for Quebec in the independent Can-Am League.
In the third, Crisp reached on an infield single to shortstop, stole second and scored on a double off the center-field wall by Lowrie. Yoenis Cespedes drove in Lowrie with a sun-aided single to left.
A's starter Brett Anderson allowed a hit and a walk in three scoreless innings, striking out three.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes