Atletico loses chance to regain lead in Brazil
SAO PUALO, Brazil (AP) — Atletico Mineiro missed a chance to regain the Brazilian league lead on Sunday with a 1-0 loss to Nautico that keeps the club two points behind Fluminense.
Playmaker Ronaldinho called it a "horrible" result for Atletico, especially after Fluminense lost at home to last-place Atletico Goianiense 2-1 on Saturday. Atletico remained on 51 points, but with a game in hand.
Third place Gremio is five points off the lead after drawing with Flamengo 1-1, while fourth place Vasco da Gama is 10 points back after drawing Cruzeiro by the same score. Lucas and Luis Fabiano scored a goal each Saturday as fifth place Sao Paulo defeated Portuguesa 3-1.
Defending champion Corinthians had a 2-0 win over Palmeiras, which remains in the relegation zone, while Neymar scored twice to help Santos defeat Coritiba 2-1.
Midfielder Souza scored Nautico's goal in the 49th minute at the Aflitos stadium in Recife, firing a low free kick shot that went through the wall.
"It was a horrible result," Ronaldinho said. "We had the chance to grab the lead after the Fluminense loss but unfortunately we were not able to take advantage of it."
Nautico, which had a player sent off late in the game, is 12th in the standings and hadn't won in four matches. Atletico Mineiro, seeking its first league title since 1971, was coming off two straight victories.
Fluminense suffered an upset loss to Atletico Goianiense after allowing two first-half goals in Volta Redonda. It pulled one closer in the second half but couldn't get the equalizer. It was Atletico Goianiense's fourth victory in 25 matches.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort