Attorney for ex-coach charged with rape says Oklahoma's age of consent law is unconstitutional
Tyrone Nash is facing 10 felony counts, even though the alleged victim, 16, says sex was consensual; lawyer is asking trial judge to dismiss charges based on Arkansas high court ruling.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Slane said the girl testified at a January preliminary hearing for Nash that she consented to all of the acts and acknowledged taking his phone and initiating contact with him.
The attorney cited a March 29 decision by the Arkansas Supreme Court to overturn a man's conviction on four counts of second-degree assault with a student who was 18, saying both of them had a constitutional right to privacy because they were consenting adults.
“They basically ruled that the state couldn't prohibit them from having sex,” Slane said. “They stuck down the law as it was written because it was too broad.”
Nash, who is free on $50,000 bail, resigned from Western Heights last year. His trial date is set for Oct. 29. Slane said he expects Oklahoma County District Judge Jerry D. Bass to rule on the motion by the end of September.
Both sides are expected to appeal the judge's ruling to the court of criminal appeals, which could delay Nash's trial indefinitely.
“Statutes passed by the legislature are presumed to be constitutional and like every other motion filed by criminal defendants we'll argue this one in court,” First Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland said Tuesday.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed