August Auto Sales: GM US sales rise 10.1 percent
DETROIT (AP) — General Motors Co. said Tuesday that its August U.S. sales rose 10.1 percent from the same month a year ago on strong demand for its cars and trucks.
BY THE NUMBERS: The Detroit-based automaker sold 240,520 vehicles last month, up from 218,479 in August 2011.
TOP SELLERS: It sold 38,295 of its Silverado pickup trucks in August, up 4 percent from a year ago. Sales of the Chevrolet Cruze compact car rose 19.1 percent to 25,975.
HOT MODELS: General Motors sold 2,831 of its Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, its best-selling month ever. That compares to 302 sold a year ago. Sales of the GMC Savana van jumped 72.6 percent to 1,545 in August.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed