“Their fangs are only a few millimeters long at that age, so they probably couldn't break the skin, but they're just as venomous as full-grown snakes,” Prendergast said.
“If venom had got on Kyle's skin where there was a cut of if he put it in his mouth, it could have been fatal,” she added.
Eastern brown snakes — which can grow to more than 6 1/2 feet long — usually stay with their eggs but sometimes leave for short periods to feed.
“He's very lucky he didn't encounter the mother while he was taking her eggs. That also could have been fatal,” Prendergast said.
The snakes were 5 to 6 inches long and had probably hatched around five days before they were released, she said, adding that they were thirsty but otherwise healthy.
Australia averages around three fatal snake bites a year, and eastern browns are responsible for the majority of them.
Sim did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment Friday.