Authorities allege drug ring inside Sulphur nursing home
SULPHUR — A nursing home director surrendered to authorities on Thursday on charges she was operating a drug ring inside a Sulphur nursing home.
Director of Nursing Jackie Allen Alexander, 63, and Melanie A. Kirby, 39, the assistant director of nursing, were charged Tuesday in Murray County District Court with multiple counts of obtaining controlled substances by fraud or forgery, conspiracy to obtain and conspiracy to distribute.
The women were employees of Callaway Nursing Home.
An audit showed more than 9,000 dosage units of controlled substances had been diverted by employees, said Mark Woodward, Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics spokesman. More than 8,400 of the dosage units involved the pain medication hydrocodone, he said.
A telephone message left for Alexander was not returned and Kirby does not have a listed telephone number, records show.
The employees are accused of calling in fraudulent prescriptions for hydrocodone for residents of the nursing home, Woodward said.
The majority of the drugs were sold on the streets of Sulphur, he said.
Also charged with multiple drug-related and conspiracy charges were Carrie Billings, 41, Sierra D. Williams, 23, Mackenzie Digby, 30, and Angela Ford, 33.
“These (nursing home) residents had not been prescribed the hydrocodone by doctors,” Woodward said. “There is no evidence that any resident was deprived of their legitimate medications.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister