Auto Racing: Notes and quotes from Texas Motor Speedway
Martin Truex Jr. takes the poll, Tony Stewart crashes during practice
TRUEX TAKES THE POLE FOR SPRINT CUP RACE
Martin Truex Jr. says he feels a win coming on. Not necessarily this week, but soon for him and his No. 56 team with Michael Waltrip Racing.
Videoview all videos
Apr 13Jenni Carlson and Scott Wright talk about this Saturday's...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Maybe Friday night's qualifying run is a good sign that this is his week.
Truex will start from the pole in the Sprint Cup Samsung Mobile 500 at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Texas Motor Speedway.
Truex edged Matt Kenseth and points leader Greg Biffle with a qualifying lap time of 28.366 seconds to take the pole.
“I felt really comfortable going into qualifying that we had a shot at it,” Truex said. “It's not easy to get poles in this series. It's not easy to do anything better than everybody else out there. There's no better way to start the weekend than getting the pole.
“I've got a lot of confidence right now. I'm able to go out there and just drive the cars and have fun with it.”
Truex started from the pole at Texas in November 2007 and went on to a third-place finish.
Kenseth will start second and Biffle third on Saturday night. But both Kenseth and Truex are close behind Biffle in the points race.
Trevor Bayne was the fastest car in practice Friday. Bayne, who made his Sprint Cup debut at Texas in the fall of 2010 before becoming a star as the Daytona 500 champion a few months later. In three career starts at Texas, Bayne has finished 17th each time.
STEWART HITS WALL IN PRACTICE
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?